Property Transactions, Conveyancing & Transfers
We recommend that you contact us as soon as possible after you have decided to embark upon your residential or commercial property purchase, sale or investment.
We can explain to you in outline the steps which may be involved, from the initial stages of obtaining the title deeds and preparing a draft contract on your side, to completing the transaction on the date when you move into your new home.
Thereafter, of course, we shall deal with all the necessary stamping of the purchase deed, capital gains, registration of your title, seeking consent of the Secretary of State for Lands in the case of leasehold properties, dealing with the issue of a new Share Certificate where a Management Company is involved and generally ensuring that all the necessary procedures have been complied with on your behalf.
If after the transactions have been completed you need to take advice with regard to your obligations under any covenants which may affect the property, the buildings insurance, boundary rights and so on, we are available to assist you.
We have a team of Gambian based lawyers qualified in many different countries working with paralegals and supporting staff, hand in hand with independent lawyers located around the world.
We can help to guide you through the confusion and complexity involved in buying and selling your house, apartmnet or piece of land in The Gambia.
Buying & Selling Land & Property in Gambia
Drafting a Contract of Sale OR approving a Contract supplied by the seller OR (if there is no preliminary contract of sale) approving the draft of the Title Deed (acte de vente) supplied by the Notary.
- Advising you on whether the property being sold may, in principle, be subject to rights of pre-emption.
- Pointing out any problems shown by any documentation supplied to you by the sellers – or the lack of it.
- Pointing out any further enquiries we think you should make.
- Preparing a full written report setting out the results of our enquiries, reviewing the terms of your contract and giving you our recommendations concerning the purchasing generally.
- General advice about the cheapest and most reliable ways to transfer your funds overseas.
- Obtaining your agreement to proceed with the purchase and dealing with the exchange of signed contracts.
- Advising you as to the contents of the Title Deed.
- Obtaining confirmation that the Land Registry Search reveals no registered charges.
- Arranging for the completion of the purchase by the signing of the Title Deed.
- Dealing with the Government office to arrange for the registration of your title at the Gambian Land Registry.
- Establishing from you what further assistance you may require in connection with this transaction.
- Liaison throughout with estate agents, developers, local lawyers, local council, tax office, Land Registry etc.
- Providing any necessary “hand holding” during the transaction. This does not extend to unlimited contact with clients. Most clients are very reasonable and understand that work done at an agreed fee can only cover necessary contact and not phone calls or emails every day!